Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Simple Fractions

1/2 and 1/4 ... This has been commonly heard from Xav recently. Hence, I thought it would be good to introduce to him simple fractions.

Came across this when we were in BKK and the price was pretty cheap, so why not just grab it. I think this can be found in some pasar malam stalls in Singapore if I remember correctly. Anyway, since I did not buy it the last time as I felt that it was too early for Xav to learn.


In it, contained 38 fraction pieces, comprising 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5, 1/6, 1/8 and 1/10 and 10 double sided word cards.

First I explained and showed him what it meant by half. He got to place the fraction pieces onto the cards. I even got his fruits and vegetable toys involved to let him visualise better what is 1/2 after the fruit is being cut.


We continued with a simple exercise on shading the correct number of parts and circling the correct fraction.


Xav actually asked me " why is it when the bottom number (denominator) gets bigger, the size of the fraction piece gets smaller.

I gave him an example of using a round cake dividing by the number of guests (using his favourite trashies). Each time the door bell rang, one more guest joined in. The more number of people sharing the cake, the size of the slice gets smalller.




Here are some of the links I found online on ideas to teach fractions and with some printable worksheets :

1. Superteacher worksheets

2. Teaching ideas

3. Coolmath4kids



Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.6

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...