Monday, July 11, 2022

VERANDAH @ Rael’s @ 111 Somerset

VERANDAH @ Rael's is the latest restaurant in town serving Peranakan-Indonesian Food! Located on level 1 of 111 Somerset Road (The former PUB Building). I was totally in love with the chic interior, floating clouds from the ceiling, it was totally instagrammable!

If you are looking for a lovely space to gather and dine with your family and friends over a good spread of Peranakan and Indonesian comfort dishes, come and try VERANDAH @ Rael’s, every dish is a pleaser!


I had my cup of fresh Ginger Tea to began with, the fresh ginger slice was uniquely steep in this test-tube! 


Delactable stickes of Chicken Satay! Well marinated, grilled to perfection, tender and succulent! It was perfect with a dip into the traditional peanut sauce! Always a favourite dish of mine, this is unstoppable! 


Pong Tauhu Soup was light yet flavourful! I have always love the one from one of the Peranakan food catering but this bowl from VERANDAH @Rael's has taken over and became my new favourite! Juicy Meatballs served in a delightful pork and prawns broth, is one side you should not miss! 

This will be a hit among kids and adults too! Honey Pork Crispy stir-fried pork drizzled with fragrant honey black sauce. 


If you love Buah Keluak, this is a dish with an acquired taste. I took some time to appreciate this dish. Buah Keluak is actually the seed of Kebayang Tree. I read that the preparation of this ingredient was a tedious process. Within this raw seed, it contains cyanide which can be deadly poisonous if not properly cured. The tradition process from what I remembered was, these seeds needed to be boiled, soaked and buried in ash wrapped banana leaves for as long as 40 days to make sure that the water cyanide is gone.

Chicken Buah Keluak Braised chicken in a tangy tamarind gravy, decadent mix of spices and pork, stuffed buah keluak. It was not saltish unlike the ones that I have tried before, perfect with a bowl of white rice! 

Signature Indonesian Chilli Beef  for the beef lovers! The taste Succulent beef stewed in a rich gravy made from chilli, candlenuts, coconut milk and aromatic spices. The taste was well balanced and not too spicy for someone like me who could not take spiciness well. 


Nonya Chap Chye, Shiitake mushrooms and cabbage cooked in a delectable savoury broth and tossed with beancurd strips and broth-soaked tang hoon. I loved how the taste was well balanced! This would make a great dish for vegetarians! 

Babi Pongteh, this sweet, savoury stew of pork belly and turnips, slow-cooked in a thick fermented soybean sauce with a peppery hint. Not a fan of pork, But this melt in the mouth and had no pork-smell dish at all! Another delicious and comforting dish. Drizzle those gravy over rice, it was pure bliss! 


Grilled Sotong with Kicap Manis, I am not a fan of squid but I took a few slices from this dish! Cooked to a perfect texture! The Grilled squid was cooked with a sweet and piquant soy sauce, mixed spices marinate! 
 

Being a Pulut Hitam fan, I loved any desserts with it! Dinner ended with Panna Cotta with Pulut Hitam, the Panna Cotta was topped with black glutinous rice served with rich coconut milk. It was a good match as the sweetness of Panna Cotta blended in well with Pulut Hitam. I wouldn't mind a second helping! 

This is my first and definitely not my last visit, I loved all the dishes which gave me a warm taste of home. I highly recommend this to you if you are looking for a good spread of Peranakan Cuisine! 


111 Somerset
#01-07
Singapore 238164

Tel: +65 6012 8829 
WhatsApp: +65 8931 9826 



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...