Sunday, February 3, 2019

Coconut Chicken Soup

Last week's weather was more on the cooler side, I felt slightly cold when I stepped out of my house. I thought it would be good to start the week with homecooked food before we started to dine out again especially when Chinese New Year is drawing near. 

I decided to cook coconut chicken soup for dinner and bought the following: 
- Thai Coconuts (I bought 5 since there are 5 of us). Get from supermarkets and go for those with slits on the cover if you do not know how to cut open a fresh coconut. 
- Skinless Chicken Thighs 
- Sweet Corn 


A pretty straight forward soup to cook for the family, good to have a scrapper to scrap the coconut flesh otherwise you can use a metal spoon but the process can be quite tiring if happened that we chose an 'old' coconut instead of a 'young' coconut. 


Method: 
1. Pour the juice into a pot. 
2. Using a scraper or a metal spoon, scrap the coconut's flesh and put it into the pot. 
3. Blanch the chicken thighs, put into the pot together with the juice and bring to boil.
4. Add in other ingredients like corn , wolfberries and red dates. 
5. Serve using the coconut husk, something different in presentation and it saves you from washing more bowls. Quite a good idea for lazy people like me. 


I used a pressure cooker to cook, you can also use a slow cooker or a normal pot to boil. If you are wondering, can coconut be too cooling for people whose body constitution is more to the cooling type? Red dates and wolfberries are the 'heaty' category, in this soup, it helps to neutralize the 'cooling' properties. 

This is a simple, flavourful and nice soup to cook for the family. Do give it a try! My fussy pot, Vera, actually asked for a second serving!

If you have enjoyed reading my posts, do follow me on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram ! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...