Thursday, April 11, 2019

Peanut Roots Soup [花生根汤]

Peanut Roots Soup - I asked on my Instagram stories, 40% replied that they cooked before while 60% were clueless about what Peanut Roots can do.

Infact, there is no scientific facts that Peanut Roots Soup can help to make a child grow taller.  But if you do ask the older generation, this soup will be the most common answer.

Less than $1.50, Don bought this from Sheng Shiong. I was taught by Xav's classmate's daddy to trim of the upper part of the stem, leaving an inch or two to the roots. Remove the leaves as it can be bitter but I read somewhere that the leaves help to promote better sleep.


Washing off the soil can be a little tedious, I lost count the number of times I rinsed the roots and used a toothbrush to brush off the soil. Combining with the rest of the ingredients like red dates, honey dates, wolfberries, dried figs and big bone, I put them all into the pressure cooker. Be sure to blanch the ribs first and remove the scum before adding it into the pot. If you are not boiling using pressure cooker, bring to boil and simmer on low heat for two hours.


Xav said that the soup tasted like the normal soups I cooked. But I find that it has the roasted nut taste and coupled with the sweetness from the dates, this soup tasted pretty nice. I cooked some noodles and added some beef slices and made it a meal for him.


Some friends asked if this soup is heaty, honestly I have no idea. My take is, if you are concern about the soup being heaty, reduce the amount of red dates and wolfberries or just omit them. Otherwise, I still believe in taking everything in moderation.

And I would advise not to feed to young kids 2 yo and below just to be cautious for any allergy reaction to peanuts.  Happy boiling this cheap yet nutritious soup and do monitor if your kids do have a significant increase in their height and let me know!

Thank you for reading and if you would like to stay tune for future updates, do follow me on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram !

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...